Goodies available at the Knoxville, IA farmers market Saturday mornings. Also at the Next Chapter in Knoxville, IA.
Wednesday, April 6, 2011
What wrong with the 1950s home ec. class
Yesterday evening on WHO radio they were reading from an early 1950s home ec. textbook. They were laughing and making fun of it. Now keeping in mind I am not a women's liber and I love for my husband to take care of me. Don't get me wrong, I CAN take care of myself just fine but I like to feel taken care of, it feels safe. Back to the radio thing. The book said the woman should always have a nice dinner ready when their husband comes home. It shows that you thought about him through the day. What's wrong with that? I am a stay at home mom, I think I can throw some pork chops in the oven and make a potato salad, it isn't that hard. this reminds me of when I went to Target last week. There was a women shopping with her mother. the younger woman's husband called, she actually put him on speaker phone. Well I got the entire unedited phone conversation that went something like this. "Where are you?" "Shopping." "What's for supper, I got home and there wasn't any." "Well, I guess you need to fend for yourself." "Maybe you should have made something." "I can't cook." "Maybe you should learn." "Maybe you should learn." "aaugh, well I guess I will go out and get something." "I guess so." How hard would it have been to throw something together and put it in the microwave? The guy got home from work expecting dinner and was greated with nothing at all. Perhaps this is why the divorce rate is so high these days. As if the conversation wasn't disrespectful enough, to put him on speakerphone unbenounst to him was very rude. The other point was to have the home quiet when your husband comes home; no radio, no tv, no music, no vaccuum, no washing machine, etc. It is even best to train the children to be quiet when he arives. Now think about that a little. Who wants to come home from a bad day to a blairing TV in the living room, radio in the kids room, washing machine thumping, vaccuum whirring, capped off by a screaming child. Not me! Granted life is not perfect but it would be something to strive for, wouldn't it? My goal is not to stir up trouble here. There were more ideas said on the program but I don't want to blab on and on. Granted this is a different world, not every wife stays home and not every man works but wouldn't it be great if they did.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment