Goodies available at the Knoxville, IA farmers market Saturday mornings. Also at the Next Chapter in Knoxville, IA.
Wednesday, April 20, 2011
Things to do in the yard
I have been waiting for the rain to stop and it to warm up before I complete my "water barrel" project. I give up, I don't think it will ever stop. But at least it is up. I got an old 200 gallon gravity feed water tank from mom's acreage (it used to be used for pigs). It is fed by the gutter on the house. My husband tried to rehang the gutter on the back of the house but it was shot so we called the Gutter Guyz and they put up a new seamless gutter and rigged it so the downspout goes to one side and right into the tank. I need to put screen over the opening to keep out the mosquitoes and over the down spout hole for gunk. They really went out of their way. Two weeks ago when it sprinkled lightly with intermittent rain the whole tank filled up. I never would have guessed you could get that much water off of a house. I guess we will have to attach an overflow hose. My other project is planting trees. I have decided just because I live in town that is no reason I can't have fruit trees. So my 2, almost 3 year old, and I planted a tart cherry and Johnathan apple tree. I have to return the peach tree because it is leaking sap. Leaking sap is a symptom of something seriously wrong. As for the garden well, fortunately we didn't get any snow. The garlic, onions, and asparagus are doing great. The other seeds are not growing right now but they aren't dead at least. I also have to bury a split rail fence I ordered from Spahn and rose. I will plant rhubarb, gooseberries, and various other things along the fence line. I figure may as well grow things I can eat and not just look at.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment