Website counter

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

try try again

Ok so I started a blog, wrote in it once and that was it. I have decided to begin again. I will keep this as a diary to track my hobbies, lifestyle, and funny things my kids say. If for anything else to keep my mind free so I can sleep at night.


SAVING MONEY

I am excited to start my money saving plan next month. I have taken a portion of our tax return to pay down some medical bill debts and some things for the house. I will keep some in saving in case our furnace goes out, which should be any day now. Now I have everything portioned out. I am sure we can eat on $100 a week. We rarely go out to eat and I make everything from scratch even bread, guess that's why I am called "The Breadlady".


HOBBIES (BAKING)

As for my hobbies, well I guess you could call it my job. I bake and bake and bake some more. I always have ideas in my head. This time I have snack foods as an idea for farmer's market this season. I will be making pretzel rods dipped in almond bark rolled in candy bars and drizzled with more almond bark. This should work until July anyway. Also, last night it came to me, waffle cones for ice cream. FLAVORED waffles, can you imagine pumpkin spice cone for your vanilla pecan ice cream. Pear almond waffle cone for your cherry cordial frozen yogurt. I will try those next week. This week I have to finish gardening.


HABBIES (GARDENING)

I got a phone call from the Des Moines Register and they ran an article about me, you can see that at http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20110313/LIFE/103130304/Iowans-giving-up-extras-not-giving-up-hope

I have 9 3'x8'x6" raised beds and 4 3'x3'x1''. I am doing the square foot gardening thing. My compost wasn't broke down enough so I bought more, I also bought several bags of peat moss, and vermiculite. I only had 2 beds done last fall. One for garlic and the other for asparagus. So now I get to finish the rest of the beds. My seeds are started in the basement. I put the seeds in empty egg shells filled with soil with holes in the bottom of the eggs. I put them in the cardboard carton and put them on old cookie sheets. I put water in the cookie sheets and the water goes up into the egg. My plants are sitting warmly under regular shop lights, they were a fraction of the cost of grow lights and work just as well.


Well I better get to work around here, lots to do and not enough time. Plus my 2 year old just fell and bopped her head and is now hollering for a bandaid, I think a kiss will do just fine.

1 comment:

  1. forgive the spelling. I am not from the east coast, it is hobbies not habbies

    ReplyDelete